Tuesday, July 05, 2005

i scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!

That chant, during the summer, is something that I'm sure drove my parents crazy. Whenever my sister and I agreed that we really, really wanted ice cream, we would bust out with the traditional chant. Starting out quiet and then getting really loud. Read: fucking obnoxious. It was probably the few times where my sister and I would agree on anything because we fought like little bitches when we were young. Read: until we both bonded over the fact that we were covertly smoking in high school. (She got busted, because she's stupid. Twice, mind you. On two different continents. She's not smooth). And even then, we still fought. The chant would work about 50/50, but we continued as it did sometimes work.

It's summer, and so it's okay to eat ice cream again. Or more to the point, it's a topic of conversation and something that you're craving, rather than the other months of the year where it's like one degree centigrade and you're just trying to stay warm waiting for the bus. Ice cream doesn't really call out then. Which is a problem that I wonder how ice cream shops, that aren't chains, are able to stay open and if not thrive, be successful.

Yesterday was the 4th, and was a lot better than I thought it would be. The party was being hosted in Virginia, I know. It's so easy to be a DC snob. I think it's somewhat akin to the people in New York who are all, I don't go to Brooklyn, looking as if someone just shot a loogie into their mouth.

Anyway. Shortie and I made the bold move of going to Virginia to CBF's girlfriend's apartment for some pre-party fun. I made the best guacamole ever, because it's what I do, and so we gorged ourselves on that, plus potato chips and ranch and watermelon.

The best part though, was the Smoke & Fire drinking game, that was invented at CC, and we embellished upon yesterday. Simple rules.

Pack of cards.
Shot glasses.
Pitcher of beer.

Take a pack and you have to say whether you think it will be Smoke (black) or Fire (red). If you're wrong, you have to take a shot of beer. At this point you can double up, and if you guess the second card correctly you are safe. If not? Double shot of beer. If you get a joker, you get to make a person take a half shot of vodka.

For some reason, this game, in all of it's stupid simplicity was a fucking blast.

Toward's firework time, we headed to a co-worker of CBF's girlfriend's apartment. Where we were under the assumption that there was going to be a party. What do your parent's say? Ass out of u and me? Yeah.

This chick's parents, brother and sister-in-law were there. Along with another special co-worker. Actually the entire thing was special. To boot there wasn't really alcohol, and it was just turing out lame-o. But then I listened as Shortie and CBF's GF were debating the best ice cream. CBF GF was mentioning how Cold Stone Creamery wasn't the best, she had just been cheating on Max of late. Where I jumped in, agreeing that Max was the best ice cream place in the world. Because not only is Max's awesomely delicious, you also get Max who is quite the character. Shortie, who will never admit that something is better outside of DC, as in, yeah that's okay, but I'd get [insert critical word here] of it, said there was this other ice cream place that was better. What? Seriously? She even said CBF would agree.

CBF said that Max's was indeed the better ice cream establishment. It really was worth the 10 minute plus conversation, especially considering the occasion.

Why, might you ask, did I relay this conversation? Because everyone should be having ice cream this summer, and it seems LAist did a review of an ice cream store today, and really, what a timely post.

And now I want some Max's ice cream.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

now, don't get me wrong...i love max's and i would NEVER NEVER NEVER cheat on max for some of that artificial, sweatshop coldstone chain shit.

but, dude, Bishop's has the best frappes ever...it's almost worth the 10 hour drive to Littleton to have one.

Anonymous said...

I was actually quite disappointed w/my Cold Stone experience. I've had better, Buffalo's got some gooood ice cream shops.

And I am one of those freaks who can eat ice cream when it's -20 outside.