Tuesday, July 12, 2005

finally figuring out how to toast.

Since I've started working in the real world, approximately finishing up my third year [fuck that's scary], I've probably brought lunch in 10% of those work days.

I'm have the atrocious habit of just going out and picking something up for lunch. I mean I have a multitude of reasons, but the biggest would have to be my constant habit of rolling out of bed late and running to work. I refuse to make my lunch the night before; it brings back too many memories of lunches in middle school and high school and the sandwhich gets all soggy and nasty tasting.

I've gone through spurts of bring my lunch, but a spurt is the furthest it's gone. Bringing my lunch in is now a necessity with my internship schedule because I don't have time to pick up anything at all for lunch, and I'm working from 7:30 to at least 6:30 non-stop. This means I need some sort of food.

So, I've been rather diligently bringing my lunch in. And also? Toasting my sandwhich to make it more interesting. I realized my favourite sandwhiches from the shop are always toasted or grilled. Warm equals interesting.

The problem I've suffered from so far is that I haven't been able to quite figure out how to make the perfectly toasted sandwhich. The first few times in the toaster over the top slice was approximately charred to a crisp whilst the lower slice was brown. Then I just started burning them left and right. Not that this would normally be an issue, but this meant that the inside of my mouth was getting ripped up by the bread. Not Good.

Then I started watching it carefully. The problem was that the bread was pretty decent, but the inside wasn't getting warm and the slice of cheese wasn't being melted. So, not really warm, therefore, not interesting.

I discovered yesterday that if I split the sandwhich in half and toast them open-faced it creates a magical, perfect sandwhich. Something I would potentially pay money for. Other than what I've already paid of course.

Maybe I'll actually enjoy bringing my lunch now.

Well. That might be a stretch, but it'll make these summer months easier to live by.

No comments: