Wednesday, July 20, 2005

finally getting my hair done.

Since moving to the DC area, I have yet to find a place where I am happy with both the hair cut and the actual highlights as well.

I mean, scratch that. I can't find a place where I have enjoyed the hair cut or highlights, even if in different locations. The other main problem is the price of either, or both.

The first time I finally ponied up and said I needed to go to the hair salon because my hair was looking like shit and needed a cut, I went to the place downstairs from where I work. From recommendations from those I worked with.

It did not turn out well.

Granted at the time I was dying my hair a reddish-brown color, and I had waited too long and the roots and the hair...It was B.A.D. I mean my roots looked orangish. And were a different color than the rest of my hair.

And? It cost like 80 bucks. It could have been more. I can't remember that far back anymore.

Afterwards, I decided that it would be best to have reddish highlights instead of subjecting my entire crown and hair to the damage of multiple dyings. Because that first time? They tried to dye it like twice to make it a solid color, and it killed my hair.

So I decide not to go to the "euro" place which was cheaper, though no Europeans worked there, and went to a salon chain next door to this one. Which was also recommended. It was fine. The cut was fine. The highlights were a bit 'meh.' I couldn't really tell that they even put highlights in. The most unfortunate part was that with tipping, of 3! people, I paid something like $130.

I don't fucking think so.

Since I wasn't blown away, I refuse to pay that much money now.

The only service I was totally happy with was this eyebrow guy at the salon across the street from where I work. Yeah, I don't know why we're completely flooded with salons. This guy was amazing, and really took care and time. I was jonesing to go again awhile back and it seems that he left. I was devastated, especially since I don't know where he is now in this big bad city.

The only person who I have been consistently happy with at all times, and I do mean throughout my life including high school is this woman who cuts my mother's hair. She's fucking awesome. Whenever she cuts my hair, and either highlights and lowlights...I mean the woman introduced me to lowlights, or whatever I may ask her to do, people will compliment me on it. I don't know why she has the magic touch with my hair, but I have never been satisfied as I have been with her. She's got the touch. Even better? For a cut and highlights? $70. Awesome!

I do have to admit, I have been happy with Mrs. home-town hair-cutter. She trimmed my hair over Easter and it was a good cut. But she's also a drunk. Which we, meaning Mrs. and her entire family who have her do their hair all the time too, know. I mean the woman has bought us shots of Kamikaze before at the local bar when we've been out. Mrs.' mom says that she's been drunk and cut her hair before. She's missed appointments before because of hang-overs. I mean the stories about her are hilarious. But. They still continue to see her because she's an awesome hair-dresser. Though one time, and I swear she must have been drunks, she put the wrong hair-dye color in the bowl and Mrs. hair turned out his purple color.

Purple.

Mrs. was less than enthused if you can imagine. So they then had to strip her hair, which totally kills your hair of course and re-do the entire thing. Mrs. still wasn't totally happy with the color but at least it wasn't purple.

My hair wouldn't be able to stand a stripping, so I'm never going to let her try to color my hair.

Earlier this summer I started to think about how busy it was going to be with internship and work, and really how I needed to get my hair done again. Plus? Really need to see the chiropractor and I wanted a massage. This of course meant, hmm...I should see about going to visit my mother. I know. It's kind of awful, but I do want to see her as well.

I made my ticket on Monday.

My mom called this morning to tell me that she made my hair appointment finally. On the 18th at 1pm.

As soon as I made the ticket I was heckling her to make the appointment for me. I know. Awful.

Essentially?

I'm travelling 3,000 miles to get a hair-cut and highlights.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I have ever since recommending both those places to you have decided to NEVER again recommend places for people to get their hair done. And I know you're never going to let me forget it.

I too need a cut, it's been since... ummm.. I think February.

Anonymous said...

i need a trim too...