Thursday, February 09, 2006

the return of my true love.

BBC America is like crack.

I've always loved BBC America. The programming, the british accents. I mean, really, you can't go wrong. Plus the nostalgia effect where it has programs that I watched on the BBC in high school, because it was one of the few channels that had programming in English.

When I was living at home with my mom the summer after college graduation and I was totally unemployed and upset about the whole matter, I would spend hours watching BBC America. Half of them, determined to pick up a British accent a la Madonna, but totally better.

CBF can confirm that I totally suck at accents, and I might have mentioned this already, but always end up sound Indian or Pakistani after, like, two words.

It's really rather humiliating.

Still, hours of programming that include "Coupling," which, in its first few seasons rocked. The US version should never have aired, but the British version rocked. I caught up on a few episodes at my sister's over Thanksgiving, and with one key character replaced it isn't as funny. But there are still some joyful episodes and moments.

I should add as a disclaimer here that I'm totally procrastinating again before my evening class. Trend!

When I first moved to DC with Stretch and Killer included and into a seemingly lovely house, with just one very large catch of having two Spanish speaking ladies living in the hovel of a basement, we still had BBC America. This, of course was because we didn't forsee that having to have more packages with Spanish programming that we were paying for definitely did not make up for saving $100 in rent. No fucking way. Plus the extra that we paid in utlities? We were fucking fleeced by our landlord. I'm still bitter and angry.

Any. Fucking. Way.

We had BBC America - though it was overall less enjoyable because it was one of those requirements and we didn't get any local channels because (Fuck you Dish Network!) it cost more for local and our package was the basest option with no cool extra channels because we were already paying through the nose for a Spanish package as well that was like every Spanish language channel that is broadcasting in the fucking world.

Which is how I ended up spending so much time watching the fucking Disney channel. And of course BBC America. Which? Sometimes doesn't play your favourite shows as often as you would like.

Then I could only get cable through Comcast in my apartment. Which? I've been now paying through the nose for. Fuck you Comcast!

I've been contemplating for awhile, especially since prices went up again...I mean really basic cable here people with HBO and it's like $75 each month. And it kills me.

So I decided today to switch to Direct TV because it's much cheaper and I'm not going to lie, because it has more channels that include BBC America!!!!

BBC America is coming back!!

I can't even contain how excited I am. Not to mention the 21.99 for first three months with 'packages' of HBO, Showtime, and Starz (just enough time to finish up the L word...if I ever watch again) and even if I kept them, it'd still be the same price I'm paying now!

And? Free installation. And? Free DVR! And???? A free portable DVD player.

I love me some Direct TV!

I LOOOVE me so BBC America. Especially now that they're playing Footballer's Wives and this new show I want to watch called Mile High, and there's this other awesome show called My Family that I watched over Christmas that was hilarious and was suddenly on all the time in Germany too!

Giddy bitches. GIDD-fucking-Y!

No comments: