Monday, June 20, 2005

word of the day children? frustration.

Yes. I'm so very excited to be getting this communications internship in the field I'm interested in working in once I finally finish earning my MA.

Or at least I was so very excited.

Clearly the person I was to be working with was difficult to pin down. Or you know. Get a response from. Simple etiquette would be nice. This, I dealt with, because, again, opportunity. I need some solid communications experience on my CV before I hop off into the real world and get the job I want.

Then there was the potential non-recognition from the person who I was supposed to be talking with when I called her after she asked me to. Fine.

Then I was supposed to start last week but called the day beforehand because I hadn't heard from said individual despite the fact that I was assured we would have a chat. Spoke to the second-in-command, if you will, who clearly had no idea who I was, and was all, "I'll get back to you on starting tomorrow."

Getting back to me consisted of them not being prepared. Granted my boss had had a personal family emergency, and so again, I rolled with the punches. Grateful that at least #2 seemed to get back to me. I was grateful. #2 also mentioned that they would call me today.

Five to 5. No call, and answering machines for both.

Around 5:20ish, call back from my message.

It seems that the office is going on a 3-day retreat on Wednesday and so they're a little busy. And, be prepared for this, aren't ready for me to come into the office.

Boss is prepared for me to start working though, and asked if I could work in my office or from home. Boss wants to talk to me tomorrow for a big, long telephone conversation to plot out what I'll be doing for the summer, with #2. "Was 1:30 okay for me?" Why yes indeed! Just peachy!

"Oh, and can you call me at 1:30?"

Sure. Thing.

I couldn't believe it. Me. Call them for this meeting. Can they not waste a dime on me? I mean I'll already be bringing in my own computer, if I ever do start in the office, and pretty much providing free graduate labour.

CHC thinks I should drop it, suggesting that internships aren't that big of a deal (boo!), and that I'm the one providing the free labour, and they're track record is awful. She's not the only one to suggest this.

I think I just need to take some deep breaths. Repeat the words: At least I'll be doing something. And realize this will be a huge deal for my CV, despite what CHC says, and I'm a lucky individual for the opportunity.

Must. Focus. On. Positive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm....

Not to discourage positive thinking...but this internship seems a little sketch. There isn't any other place you could give free labor?

Anonymous said...

any internship update?