Tuesday, June 21, 2005

no longer dead to me.

It seems that whenever any power, and popular celebrity couple divorces slash breaks-up, people choose sides. And clearly, by people, I mean: me.

For reasons unfathomable to me now, I was shocked and somewhat saddened when Tom and Nicole first announced their divorce. Clearly, this was because she was breaking free from the mental craziness that is Tom Cruise, though there is always speculation. I mean he always would just say in interviews that, she knew why they were breaking up. And it was somewhat suspect that when she suffered from a miscarriage almost right afterwards that he showed no remorse. Was it not his baby? Could she have had an affair? Was he the one that the affair with Penelope Cruz? And I thought at the time that they had an ick factor. Plus I totally believed that he had had an affair.

Why was I concerned? Well they were a rather popular couple, and I mean, I loved Top Gun, and was otherwise a general fan of the Tom. Which again? Has me completely flummoxed now. I remember playing dodgeball during recess and discussing his divorce with Mimi back in the day, and all of us were psyched...because of course when you're 8 he's going to be available for you to date him. I even remember my sister's friend Rhonda being especially excited about his divorce. Because yes, at 11, he's going to marry you!

My sister has always expressed wonder at this phenomenon where people become upset when their celebrity crushes, or for some people obsessions, are dating or married to someone, and excited when their relationships eventually hit the skids. "Right. Because if they're single, you're going to get the opportunity to date them. You're weird." I guess I left out the 'karen' at the end of the last sentence, but I mean really. Did Jake really have to start dating Kirsten again? I mean there are no snowstorms going on in my nostrils, and we'd be like, totally great together. Call me!

I digress. Anyway, I ended up siding with Nicole. It could be because I'm the only person in America who didn't really enjoy "Jerry McGuire" all that much, and thought Renee was fucking annoying. Cute and bubbly in "Empire Records," which is a fucking awesome movie, but annoying and whiny in every. Single. Fucking. Movie. Since. Take back the Oscar people. Plus? Nicole was awesome in "The Others," which came out shortly post-ruined marriage, and it was also pre-Botox. Then of course came "Moulin Rouge" which again, great movie. She was charming and wonderful, and I'm sitting there rooting her on and hoping that she continues to be successful and we can all say, "Look what you're missing Tom."

Then came the Botox age. And the super super skinny stage. I mean she didn't really look like a human anymore. You would see pictures and her forehead would be all shiny and would bounce the reflection of the camera flashes back, all "Kap-ow! Just try taking a picture of me you paparazzi bitches!" It was a sad stage. I mean part of acting is showing emotion, and when there's nothing going on above the eyebrows it's a little difficult to emote. And the fact that she looked like a midget could take her down with one hand behind their back because she hadn't seen a carbohydrate in months...

It probably would have been better if this was reserved to the red-carpet, but even she looked like a robot in the previews for the awful idea of a remake in the "Stepford Wives," which I thankfully did not see.

Maybe I was wrong. Maybe she's such a perfectionist method actor that she wanted to become a robot for her role, and she was just having a hard time letting it go. It certianly would be an explanation.

To recap: Dead to me.

An amazing thing happened though. This morning, and it might be because I woke up at 6 for my new summer schedule (do people really wake-up this early? And why would they ever want to? It's not sane. There should be a law.) and I was giddy with fatigue, but when I went to go check for the free song of the week at the iTunes store I saw that Nicole Kidman had a celebrity playlist.

Now I'm not a huge fan of the celebrity playlists. I think sometimes people are choosing songs that they think might make people think they are cool. Yes, Mischa Barton I'm looking at you. Did you raid your castmates CD collections in their trailers and then ask your publicist what would be best? I highly doubt that you listen to the fucking Shins. I just won't believe it. Sometimes the comments for each song are really rather stupid too. It is somewhat interesting to see what some playlists are, but I think for "Entertaiment Weekly" to put it down as a "must" is providing it with too much credit.

So, I was curious and decided to check it out. The songs are a pretty awesome mix; especially when she's not choosing 'trendy' or possibly pretentious picks to make her look cool. The comments make her seem winning and charming again. Plus? She lets her daughter choose the last four songs, and make the comments which is even more adorable.

I think this list combined with my grudging actual enthusiasm about "Bewitched," the promos make the awful premise look cute and fun, which is freaking me out, has Nicole Kidman back on my 'good' list.

Until of course I see her in another period piece, with her forehead shining back at me saying, "That's right. I'm going going to use my shininess to emote, and distract you that I can't actually move. I should get second billing!"

Song of the day? And really, I feel I should be more cautious considering the uproar of the "Fight for Your Right Cover." I still say I enjoy it. But the song that has already repeated a few times today on my iTunes is Jon Brion's "Knock Yourself Out." I initially fell in love with it when I heard it during the trailer for "I Heart Huckabees"and immediately wanted to know what it was. Didn't find out until much later, but I still love it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She creeps me out, now; she's become a parody of herself with all the botox. She needs a SERIOUS botox intervention. Have you NOT seen the VF photo spread?? She looks like she's about 12. It's scary.

Anonymous said...

i second caren